- Provide research, support and assistance for issues concerning writing systems and Unicode
- Contribute to font production projects
- Write technical documents pertaining to writing systems using a variety of media.
- Attend workshops and conferences to maintain an understanding of relevant technological developments, to provide technical support and to strengthen relationships with people working for other organizations.
- Synthesize and communicate needs and research
- Articulate design decisions
- Participate as an integral and enthusiastic part of the team, exhibiting ownership, follow-through, initiative, awareness, and effective communication with peers and management.
- Work with the team around a cohesive product roadmap
- Propose refinements to processes and systems for design and user research
- Contribute to the development of team culture
- Participate in regular project status, planning, partnership, and strategic meetings
- Be available to travel to meet with the larger development team at least once per year
- Be available to travel biennially to the Language Technology Conference
- Participate in professional conferences and meetings
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A servant heart attitude
- Demonstrated skills in type design
- Good interpersonal skills of communication
- Good organizational skills
- The ability to make decisions in a timely manner
- The ability to work both with a team and independently, and to multitask effectively Aptitude and Interests We are looking for someone with a genuine interest in the world’s scripts and languages, coupled with a sound knowledge of font design. You need to have good attention to detail and a willingness to expend time and effort on research and experimentation in order to develop high quality fonts for the world’s scripts and languages. You will be joining a team with a wealth of knowledge and experience, so you need to be a good team player, eager to learn from others and willing to share and document what you have learned.
Education and Experience:
Script Technologists should have proficiency in writing systems technology, such as fonts and keyboards. A Bachelor’s degree in graphic arts, computer graphics, or equivalent work experience is preferred, but we care more for a heart and mind that are always learning. Sociolinguistic exposure and multicultural experience are helpful.
Training and Orientation:
Will complete the initial IT Software Department training program and relevant portions of IT Orientation. "
Dallas, TX - Founded in 1934
SIL is a global, faith-based nonprofit that works with local communities around the world to develop language solutions that expand possibilities for a better life.
Our faith inspires and informs our commitment to expand possibilities for people to thrive. We believe all people are created by God and given language as a means for flourishing. Through language, we understand who we are, experience relationships and explore life’s most important questions.