- Design, develop, and deploy server-side system, including database creation, APIs, and hosted solutions
- Integrate data from various back-end services and databases
- Maintain, expand, and scale our websites
- Collaborate with front-end developers and web designers to match visual design intent
- Work with team leader to collaborate, review, and deliver high quality software applications
- Participate as an integral and enthusiastic part of the team, exhibiting ownership, follow-through, initiative, awareness, and effective communication with peers and management.
- Work with the team around a cohesive product roadmap
- Analyze systems requirements by consulting with the user community and development team
- Support user community and development team with developer-level support
- Monitor and report system performance and analytics
- Write technical reference documentation for the new software
- Participate in regular project status, planning, partnership, and strategic meetings
- Be available to travel to meet with the larger development team at least once per year
- Be available to travel biannually to the Language Technology Conference
- Participate in professional conferences and meetings
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A servant heart attitude
- Demonstrated experience with hosted and cloud based solutions.
- Demonstrated experience with the design and implementation of APIs
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple websites
- Demonstrated skills in software development and algorithms
- Demonstrated passion for programming and solving complex problems
- Good interpersonal skills of communication
- Good organizational skills
- The ability to quickly analyze and learn a large existing codebase
- The ability to make decisions in a timely manner
- The ability to generate multiple solutions to the problem
- The ability to quickly pick up technical concepts
- The ability to work both with a team and independently, and to multitask effectively
Education and Experience:
Back-End Developers should have experience in software engineering and a good understanding of agile development practices. Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent work experience is preferred, but we care more for a heart and mind that are always learning.
Training and Orientation:
Will complete the initial IT Software Department training program and relevant portions of IT Orientation.
Dallas, TX - Founded in 1934
SIL is a global, faith-based nonprofit that works with local communities around the world to develop language solutions that expand possibilities for a better life.
Our faith inspires and informs our commitment to expand possibilities for people to thrive. We believe all people are created by God and given language as a means for flourishing. Through language, we understand who we are, experience relationships and explore life’s most important questions.